Feb 1, 2007




















Throwback Thursday III


This week we again find ourselves in the late 1990's, but this time we're going to dig a little bit deeper to dredge up a couple of songs that deserved to be a lot more popular than they were.

"Perfect Lines" - The Promise Ring (taken from Nothing Feels Good)
These guys were one of my favorite bands for a good chunk of my college career after I discovered them on a fluke when I decided that the cover art for this album was in and of itself enough reason for me to buy it completely unheard. They'll probably be forever thrown into the "emo" ghetto, but few people realize just how great this band was at writing catchy pop tunes as well. This is one of my very favorites off the album.

"Heartcatchthump" - Chainsaw Kittens
(taken from Chainsaw Kittens)
I only ever really got to here one album by this seemingly forgotten '90s band, but I really loved it. They got a decent boost in publicity when Scratchie Records (founded by James and D'arcy of my beloved Pumpkins) signed them up in time for this album, but it apparently wasn't enough and they quickly slid off the scene. Until these guys get the critical reappraisal they so deserve, enjoy this tune and tell me this shouldn't have been a huge hit in a perfect world.

No comments: