Feb 2, 2007




















Clap Your Hands Say Disappointment


Remember way back in early December when I was talking about how excited I was for the second album from blog darlings Clap Your Hands Say Yeah? Yeah, me too. Unfortunately the album ended up being a pretty significant disappointment, a sprawling mess of a record that lacks much of the spark and fire that I liked so much about them the first time around. Sure "Satan Said Dance" is still great fun and I love a couple of the other tracks, it seems like there are far more duds than there should be. I think much of this stems from the band trying way too hard to swing things in a new direction to avoid being flattened by the indie backlash, but instead of taking things in an interesting new place they kinda seem to be flailing all over the place. Another disappointment, for me anyway, was the sub-par production by Dave Fridmann. Normally I'm a big fan of his work (including Fridmann produced faves like Soft Bulletin, Strangest Things, The Woods), but this time around he seems to just bury the thing in unnecessary overdubs and effects that just don't work with this band. But I do have to give CYHSY credit for trying to keep things interesting this time around and not just rehashing the debut, I'm not ready to write them off quite yet.

No comments: