Feb 13, 2007
















"If I could do it again, I'd make more mistakes
I'd not be so scared of falling
If I could do it again, I'd climb more trees"



Aren't blizzards just wonderful? Of course not. At least not while you are stuck out in the mess, struggling to get home. The only way to truly enjoy a snowstorm is when you and all your loved ones are safe at home and bundled up to ward off the cold. So as a public service, here's a couple tunes I've been enjoying of late that will hopefully bring a little warmth into your evening.

Loney, Dear - "I Am John" (taken from Loney, Noir)
Loney, Dear is the recording name of one Emil Svanängen, a Swedish indie popster who's been recording densely layered tunes in his parents' basement for near four years now. "I Am John" comes from his first album to be released here in the States, thanks to the hip peeps over at Sub Pop. Sufjan Stevens is probably an easy comparison, but Loney, Dear seems a lot less dramatic but no less engaging.

Bloc Party - "Waiting For The 7.18" (taken from A Weekend In The City)
Bloc Party released my favorite album of 2005 and have just returned with an absolutely fantastic sophomore release that is sure to figure highly in this year's best-of lists. The entire album is a disquieting reflection of life in modern London, but the ennui and confusion are universally relatable in these uncertain times. "Waiting For The 7.18" turns those interminable morning commutes into a mournful plea for lost youth.

No comments: