Apr 17, 2007

via//chicago@random: Spoon - "I Didn't Come Here To Die"

Second in an ongoing series in which I pore ever so slowly through my digital collection at random.

I have to admit that, as big of a Spoon fan as I am, I'm not terribly familiar with this song and a quick listen reminds me why. This, taken from 2000's Love Ways EP, is little more than a tossed off experiment that finds the band slumming in the blues. A relatively simple riff and a strong, shuffling rhythm provide the backbone to this song, but there's nothing really exciting to be found. Even Britt Daniel's usually fantastic lyrics seem to be a little less than stellar on this outing and he seems to know it, burying them slightly in the mix and slight vocal effects. It's not bad for a tossed-off EP track, but it doesn't hold a candle to some of the band's brighter work. The nifty echoed spacey effects near the end seem to be the most memorable piece.

In more encouraging Spoon news... the band is getting ready to drop their sixth full-length on July 10th, titled Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga.

Spoon - "I Didn't Come Here To Die" (taken from Love Ways EP)

No comments: