Apr 5, 2007





















Live Review: Snow Patrol, OK Go, Silversun Pickups @ The Aragon

One of the more interesting tour pairings I've seen in awhile (indie-grunge revivalists + power-pop + melodramatic teen drama anthems = huh?) made its Chicago stop this past Monday night and I was luckily enough to be standing waist-deep in teenagers and their chaperoning moms at the Aragon to witness it. I was most excited to see the Pickups and their set delivered pretty much what I was expecting, but I'm not sure that their noisy space-rock jams converted many of the Snow Patrol diehards. Oh well, I thought they sounded pretty good even though lead singer Brian Aubert was battling illness. I'm not sure what it is about bands with cute bass players and noisy guitar jams, but I certainly seem to love 'em.

Sorta hometown heroes OK Go were up next and I was surprised to see how many kids in the crowd suddenly sprung to life and reacted as if they were the headliners. They tore through a spirited set of spunky power-pop highlighted by the hits "Here It Goes Again" and "Get Over It". Damian Kulash made for a funny and engaging frontman, but sadly there were no treadmills in sight.

As for Snow Patrol? They were pretty decent, but I have a hard time calling their stage show anything more than solid. They worked the crowd well and played the songs people wanted to hear, but there wasn't anything really memorable or life-changing about the set. Maybe it was just that all of the mid-tempo songs tended to run together after awhile with very few standout moments. The highlight of the night had to be the crowd's rapturous reception of single "Hands Open" and particularly the "Put Sufjan Stevens on and we'll play your favorite song/"Chicago" bursts to life and your sweet smile remembers you" line. They certainly couldn't have ended on a better note.

No comments: