Apr 30, 2008

np: "I Will Not Apologize" - The Roots

I'm only on my first listen, but damn if this new Roots album isn't sounding really good. Game Theory was a nice bounce back in the right direction after the lukewarm Tipping Point, and this only continues the upwards trend they've been on lately. Lots of quality collaborations from most of the usual suspects, but more important this time around - they actually sound like the angry, socially conscious group they've always positioned themselves to be. They aren't just touching on the obvious topics either, delving into stuff like the white perceptions of today's black man thanks to BET and television. There has always been touches of this type of socially aware content on all their records, but never before have they sounded so focused and intent on delivering the message. Pretty impressive. Oh... and the beats are tight as hell. I won't go as far as saying these guys are horribly underrated, but I'm not sure that enough people appreciate the quality game these guys are still bringing this deep into their career.

I've got my review of the new Be Your Own Pet album up over at Static, quite a fun little record that I was eagerly awaiting. I was a little nervous about how they'd follow up such an exciting debut, but I think they pulled it off quite ably. Jemina Pearl is one hell of a performer and she's really coming into her own as a songwriter, I'll be curious to see how they continue to evolve as a band.

My Cubs may have slipped into second place after a rough week, but as I type this they are walloping the Brewers by a score of 19-5. Where the hell did this team come from? I'm loving it!

No comments: