Sep 18, 2008






























np: "Lookaway" - Sepultura


Not for nothing, just the song that happens to be playing right now. The bigger thing on my mind right now is the number 2. As in, two more games until the Chicago Cubs clinch their division and secure a spot in the MLB playoffs. And as a Cubs fan I am the eternal optimist (at least when it comes to baseball), but I really think this could be a great year for them. Hell, it already has been a great year. They've already put together 92 wins without depending on any single player, just great everyday performances from a whole bunch of guys. It certainly helps that the pitching staff is finally coming together nicely. I was at Wrigley for Tuesday night's win over the Brewers and I thought that was an exciting game, but it had nothing on today's dramatic 12 inning comeback. Anyway. I'm excited and here's hoping the best for my Cubbies.

Music-wise? Not a whole lot new to report, I'm still spending a lot of time going through this year's metal releases to finalize my list. And, of course, things got a little more difficult when I heard another strong contender for my list today in the latest from All That Remains. I've avoided these guys, like I have most metalcore bands, because I've typically not taken a lot from that particular sub-genre. To be honest, all those bands mixing the earnest emoting with metal riffs all sort of sound alike to me. The only other metalcore band I've really gotten into was Avenged Sevenfold after their 2005 album City of Evil, but mainly because they seemed to break free of the typical metalcore sound and embrace a more classic approach to their metal (unfortunately they destroyed all their good work with that awful self-titled thing from last year, but I'm already way off topic). Anyway, All That Remains.

After reading plenty of positive thoughts from writers I really respect, I figured there must be something worth hearing and I gave their latest album, Overcome, a chance. I'm glad I did. Of all the metalcore bands out there, they really do a fantastic job of naturally melding the emotive clean vocals with the death metal growls. But what really clinched it for me is the fantastic guitar-work. I'll be damned if those aren't some of the crunchiest riffs and blistering solos I've heard this year. They may not be the most original of metal bands out there right now, far from it, but the undeniable fun of Overcome is difficult to ignore.

All That Remains - "Chiron"
(taken from Overcome)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cant wait until youre done going through this year's metal releases I really cant wait for your list!
It would be awesome! Good luck!

Cheers,
Rogue