Sep 28, 2008























np: "The Bitter End" - Black Stone Cherry


Every now and then I give in to the populist urge and check out a band I've never heard solely because they seem to be extremely popular with a certain subset of people or another. Such is the case with the latest album from this Kentucky foursome signed to Roadrunner. I kept running across their self-titled debut from 2006, but always dismissed them as being a slightly more "Southern" version of those paint-by-numbers post-grunge bands that litter rock radio stations these days - Seether, Hinder, Three Days Grace, whatever. Turns out my assumptions weren't far from wrong, but I think they're a slightly better band than I was willing to give them credit for being. Don't get me wrong, there are enough problems with this disc to keep it far, far from my end of year lists (overly preachy lyrics and over-dependence on classic rock themes being two of the largest) but there is some talent present. Lead singer Chris Robertson has the perfect voice for this sort of whiskey-soaked rock and some of the riffs are pretty damn catchy, so this is a not completely terrible southern rock album. Then again, I'll also admit to liking Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Black Crowes - so take this as you will. The ballads are mostly forgettable, but the harder rocking tracks might float your boat if you dig the southern vibe.

Black Stone Cherry - "Devil's Queen" (taken from Folklore and Superstition)

No comments: