Jul 1, 2008




























np: "Steamer Trunk" - Alkaline Trio


(Okay, no, I don't have my best of the year so far post ready for tonight. I up and left my hand-scribbled notes in my desk at work today, so you'll have to bear with my and watch for it later this week.)

Surely it has been mentioned at some point (perhaps several points) throughout the history of this blog, but I love (formerly) local Chicago favorites Alkaline Trio. There's something about their spunky combination of punk power chords, gothic design sensibilities, and alcohol-fueled girl troubled lyrics that I never manage to outgrow. There are many that outgrew the band as their fanbase started to grow and the crowds started to get younger around them, but I've yet to lose my love for the guys. I may not hold the more recent albums as close to my heart as I do Goddamnit, Alkaline Trio, and Maybe I'll Catch Fire - but I've found a lot to enjoy throughout their career. In fact, they remain one of the few bands that I'll willingly splurge on questionable compilations (Masters of Horror, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland) just to get an exclusive Alk3 cut.

Today saw the release of the band's sixth(!) full-length release, finding them making the move from semi-indie Vagrant to full-fledged major Epic. Here's hoping they can get some of the mainstream success they've long deserved. Remember kids, My Chemical Romance wouldn't have existed without these guys.

In honor of Agony & Irony, I prepared an introductory mix tracklisting for those curious about the band, along with where these songs can be found. Maybe someday soon I'll post a link to this mix somewhere, but for now you'll have to make friends with iTunes or Amazon and do a little research on your own.

Blood, Sweat, & Beers: An Alkaline Trio Primer

01. Sun Dials
02. This is Getting Over You

03. Southern Rock

04. San Francisco

05. Enjoy Your Day
06. Trouble Breathing

07. Fuck You Aurora
08. Keep 'Em Coming
09. Take Lots With Alcohol
10. Stupid Kid
11. Steamer Truck
12. We've Had Enough
13. Blue Carolina
14. Time To Waste
15. Mercy Me
16. Hell Yes
17. My Standard Break From Life
18. Metro
19. Old School Reasons
20. Sadie

tracks 1-3 taken from Alkaline Trio
tracks 4-6 taken from Goddamnit
tracks 7-8 taken from Maybe I'll Catch Fire
tracks 9-11 taken from From Here to Infirmary
tracks 12-13 taken from Good Mourning
tracks 14-15 taken from Crimson
tracks 16-20 taken from Remains

But really, you can't go wrong with any one of those first four albums listed as a starting point.

No comments: