Jun 30, 2008





















np: "Stoned at the Taj Again" - Grails


I'll admit to being slightly bitter today, having suffered through a hugely disappointing three games by my beloved Chicago Cubs. It's always hard to watch them get swept by the South Siders, but even harder when they are fighting to remain in first place. But enough with the sports talk...

Am I the only shocked to realize that tomorrow is already July 1st? 2008 is half over already! But as far as music goes... it's been a pretty good year so far. I haven't found myself falling head over heels for very many great singles this year (I'm still waiting for my jam of the summer, I'm already sick of "Lollipop"), but I've heard so many fantastic albums in the first half of the year. More on that tomorrow though, when I present my list of top 2008 releases thus far.

In news that (kinda sorta) made up for the miserable baseball weekend, I got my ticket in the mail today for an outstanding show at the Empty Bottle in July: Boris, Torche, and Nachtmystium. I've been anxious to see Boris for quite some time now and the new Torche album is quickly becoming one of my favorites of the year (again, more on that tomorrow), so I would have happily paid $15 to see either them at an intimate venue like the Bottle. But to get both of them on the same bill? Including progressive-black metal-ers Nachtmystium? It was a no-brainer and I can't wait for the show. You'll definitely be hearing more about that show.

With that I'm off to try and be productive with the rest of my night, but I leave you with a selection of trippy tunes to soundtrack your Monday night or Tuesday morning. Enjoy.

Grails - "Stoned at the Taj Again" (taken from Take Refuge in Clean Living)
Hawkwind - "Orgone Accumulator" (taken from Space Ritual)
Jennifer Gentle - "Take My Hand" (taken from The Midnight Room)
Bardo Pond - "Datura" (taken from Set and Setting)
Boris - "Ano Onna No Onryou" (taken from Akuma No Uta)

No comments: