May 30, 2008






























np: "We Carry On" - Portishead


I completely fell in love with the new Portishead album this afternoon. I can't explain why this particular listen (my third full spin) was so special, but it just resonated so strongly with me. I've never been a particularly huge fan of the band, in fact I don't think I've ever heard an entire full album of theirs before picking this one up after reading some glowing reviews. I remember vaguely liking "Sour Times" when it was all over alt-rock radio back in the day, but at the time it wasn't enough to convince me that I'd really be that into the band. I had Tricky for my trip-hop fix, thank you very much. So all the buzz and brouhaha about the long-awaited return kinda flew right by me.

But damn, is this album a stunner. It's very warm and enveloping, sucking you right in with the varying textures and attention to sonic detail. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of In Rainbows and a lot of the more recent Radiohead studio material - very crisp and precise, but not so rigid that it doesn't groove a little now and then. Really, just an astounding example of what three extremely talented musicians can do when they fully embrace the recording technique as another instrument. But check things out for yourself...

Portishead - "We Carry On" (taken from Third)
Portishead - "Nylon Smile" (taken from Third)

PS. - Isn't this story really, really fascinating? I mean, to think that groups like this still exist in 2008 blows my mind. I really hope that this story doesn't send a bunch of curiosity seekers to search them out and ruin the good thing they've got going.

PPS. - This will probably be my last post for a couple of week, as I head out on a deliberate posting hiatus. I'll be getting married in a week, then heading off to Costa Rica for my honeymoon.

No comments: