May 19, 2008























np: "Erase the Speed of Time" - Pet Genius


I was just going through the backlog of promo discs sitting on my desk and decided to toss on this album that had been staring at me for quite some time, mainly because I keep coming across it while looking for something else. As it turns out, Pet Genius is the name of a side project by one Mr. Stephen Brodsky - the lead singer of alt-rock/metalcore band Cave-In, a band I remember reading quite a bit about a few years back but never really checking out. This album has me wondering what I might have missed, because this is pretty good in a really unexpected way. Catchy as hell crunchy power psych-pop with some huge riffs thrown into the mix. I hear a little Pink Floyd, a little Led Zep, some Sloan, a bit of Queens of the Stone Age; this touches on tons of different stuff. It totally has "side project" written all over it, but this is pretty fun - and if I didn't mention it already, catchy as hell. Makes me anxious to check out another of his solo projects that showed up in today's mail, The Black Ribbon Award, under the name Stove Bredsky.

Pick up both Pet Genius and Stove Bredsky from Hydra Head.

No comments: