Feb 10, 2008

Exploring Latin Pop...

Every now and then I get the urge to throw myself knee-deep into a genre, subgenre, or classification of music that I've never really explored before - usually for one of two main reasons. The first, and usually the more common reason, is the feeling that I'm missing out one something really good. After nu-metal completely ruined a lot of heavy rock for me from about 1998-2003 I pretty much gave up on any metal music, thankfully I threw myself back into it over the last couple of years and discovered a lot of truly great albums and artists. The second reason, and more the driving factor this time around, was my desire to understand and process the popularity of music that I'm just not taken with. In this case, I was mainly trying to understand the appeal of reggaeton. The few songs I'd heard in passing did virtually nothing for me, all sounding like thin variations on the same beat. But its popularity continues to grow and critics occasionally praise one release or another as breaking some new ground. So I figured I would pass this frigidly cold February day by throwing myself right in the mix and delving into three relatively popular reggaeton (or related) albums from the past year. And, for good measure, another album of popular Mexican synth-pop. Here's what I found.





















Calle 13 - Residente o Visitante (Sony International)
This is a duo consisting of half brothers from Puerto Rico that use hip-hop and reggaeton as a jumping off point to explore quite a few different genres and rhythms from around the world. These guys seem to have a lot of fun with their music, incorporating lots of orchestral flourishes and epic arrangements. The production is what makes this a winner, flowing effortlessly through all sorts of different vibes and flavors. These guys also like to swear, a lot, which was apparent even to someone like me who understands only the bare minimum of the language. Still, it was a fun and entertaining listen that I can see myself returning to over time.
check out: "Sin Exagerer (f. Tego Calderon)"





















Wisin y Yandel - Los Extraterrestres (Machete Music)
Another Puerto Rican duo, these guys have been working together for just over a decade and recently launched themselves to international acclaim with their take on reggaeton. But, really, I'm just not sure I'm getting it. I found this to be the most disappointing of all the albums I listened to today, reinforcing nearly every negative opinion I had about the genre going into it. There didn't seem to be much variation from one track to another, it all seemed to blend together in one unspectacular stew. Despite guest shots from familiar names like Eve and Fat Joe, I just couldn't get into this one at all.
check out: "Sexy Movimiento"





















Tego Calderon - El Abayarde Contraataca (WEA International)
Now this... this is what I was hoping I would come across. Tego Calderon, a name I was already familiar with thanks to his appearances on remixes of American hits like Usher's "Yeah", delivered exactly the type of album I was looking for. This album, much like Calle 13, uses reggaeton as only one of the styles in its' bag of tricks, choosing instead to pull rhythms and inspiration from a wide variety of Latin American and African locations. The production on this disc is absolutely stellar, with an imaginative flair and ear for details that reminded me of Timbaland more than once. Check out those drums on "No Era Por Ahi" or the almost G-Funk organ on "Por Mi Madre". "Tradicional A Lo Bravo", the album's huge lead single, and "Ni Fu Ni Fa" will definitely find their way into my regular rotation. This is some pretty fantastic stuff that deserves to be heard by a much wider audience, I think even those who think they hate reggaeton would find something to love.
check out: "Ni Fu Ni Fa"





















Belanova - Fantasia Pop (Universal Latino)
Alright, totally not reggaeton, but the idea of a Mexican synth-pop band had me really intrigued and a lot of people seem to have loved this disc so I decided to give it a shot. And I'm quite glad I did, this is come of the most catchy electropop records I've heard in some time. Immediate melodies, insistent beats, and lovely synth lines unite to make this an absolute joy to listen to, even if if lead singer Denisse Guerrero's vocals waver a little too close to Avril territory at times.
check out: "Baila Mi Corazon"

The result of today's explorations? I've been a little silly to dismiss reggaeton right out of hand but, much like mainstream American hip-hop, there are some examples of it being done really well and I'll just have to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Tego Calderon, Calle 13, and even Belanova have earned themselves their iTunes space, but it'll be straight to the recycle bin for Wisin y Yandel.

EDIT: Just hours after finishing up this post I saw that Calle 13 won the Latin Urban Album Grammy for Residente o Visitante.

No comments: