Feb 6, 2008















Endless Winter...


If you're anything like me, you are sick and tired of winter. Here it is February and it seems like winter has just now been really gearing up to kick us in the ass. After shoveling the 9 inches of snow off our sidewalk tonight, I decided it was time to quit fighting it and roll with it (or at least try to anyway). In that spirit, I've put together what I'm calling my Endless Winter Mix - sixteen tracks that sum up this time of year perfectly. These are tracks that recall the feelings of a too-long winter - slow-paced movement, sparseness, darkness, lethargy, and all the other trappings of cabin fever. Some of these tracks are fairly obvious from the title alone ("Wailing Wintry Wind", "Cold As Ice") while others just capture a vibe that reminds me of walking down a snow covered sidewalk as traffic slows to a crawl beside you ("NYC", "To Sheila"). Whether its the snow crunching sample in "Aurora" or the screw-it-I'm-just-gonna-give-up despair of "I'm So Tired", these songs all sound like winter to me. Grab your shovel, fire up the iPod, and embrace the icy cold...

Endless Winter 020608
01. "NYC" - Interpol
02. "Mescaline Sunrise" - Minsk
03. "New Star in the Sky (Chanson Pour Solal)" - Air
04. "Northern Sky" - Nick Drake
05. "Ciel Errant" - Alcest
06. "Cold As Ice" - Atlas Sound
07. "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" - The Arcade Fire
08. "Untitled 3" - Sigur Ros
09. "To Sheila" - Smashing Pumpkins
10. "Aurora" - Bjork
11. "Wailing Wintry Wind" - Baroness
12. "Angel in the Snow" - Elliott Smith
13. "February Stars" - Foo Fighters
14. "I'm So Tired" - The Beatles
15. "Weightless & Horizontal" - Jesu
16. "Last Snowstorm of the Year" - Low

Download it here.

No comments: