Jul 24, 2006

I Don't Want The World To Blow
























So I am way late to the game when it comes to The Coup, somehow I totally let this group slide right on by without giving them a listen. I first heard about them thanks to the controversy over the original cover for the band's 2001 album Party Music, but they kept popping up thereafter with heaps of praise. By all right I should have checked them out sooner, as every description made them sound totally up my alley. But for some odd reason I just never got around to it. Luckily I was able to rectify this situation thanks to checking out their set at Wicker Park Summer Fest over the weekend. Boots Riley and his live band brought the funk hardcore, bobbing and educating heads at the same time. My favorite moment, however, belonged soley to guest Silk E as she ran through a smooth R&B jam with quite possibly the greatest reason to get your freak on I've heard in the '06. Click below and check it out for yourself. This is, admittedly, a fairly atypical song for The Coup so do yourself a favor and scope out the entirety of Pick A Bigger Weapon, the band's latest disc.

The Coup f. Silk E - "BabyLet'sHaveABabyBeforeBushDoSomethin'Crazy"

No comments: