May 22, 2006

v//c:preview 1.2
I know I talked about making this a more regular feature here on via//chicago, and I still most definitely plan to do that, it's just that - well, I've been slacking. At least as far as updating goes, I've been busy as all get out in almost every other aspect of life right now. But what better than to calm the pace and help you through than some exciting new music, right? So today I've got three new songs I'd love to share with you, really running from one end of the music spectrum to the other...

Naledge - "Life"
I mentioned Naledge recently when I talked about the Chicago Rocks showcase at the Metro a couple of weeks ago, his set being one of the night's highlights and giving us a local guy to really look forward to hearing more verses from. First up is one of my favorite tracks off his recent mixtape, hosted by Mike Love, Will Rap For Food. The production by Memo is pretty solid, but I think it's Naledge's lyrical skills that really elevate this track. Check it out and remember the name, especially once his Rawkus debut drops later this year.
((click here to purchase Will Rap For Food: The Mixtape))

Naledge - "Cold Outside"
This second track, "Cold Outside", also comes from the Will Rap For Food mixtape, presented by Kidz In The Hall. This track is a little more hard than some of his other material, but I like the local flavor and Chicago imagery it provides. Rather than focusing on the gang-related lyrics, I like to think that this is a way to let heads know that Chicago shouldn't be slept on and that there is more talent here than just Kanye and Twista.
((click here to purchase Will Rap For Food: The Mixtape))

Beirut - "Brandenburg"
And now, for something completely different... we'll switch things up and take a look at an amazingly talented 19 year-old, originally from New Mexico, by the name of Zach Condon. Zach, who has just released his debut album under the Beirut moniker, pieces together wonderfully engaging tunes that bring to mind images of Eastern Europe and drunken polkas in the early morning hours. Yeah, I said "polkas", but don't let that keep you from checking out this track. Condon tosses in accordions, horns, and even ukeleles to create these tunes that are both engaging and refreshing. Maybe I only like these songs because they are so far removed from the typical guitar-oriented indie rock I listen to, but I dare anyone to keep their toes from tapping or head from bobbing by the end of "Brandenburg". Only nineteen? What have I been doing wrong?
((click here to purchase Gulag Orkestar))

As always, click on the track names to download the songs and please remember that these are for evaluation purposes only. If you like 'em, please click on the links provided to support the artists that bring us these wonderful songs. Thanks.

Am I the only one excited to check out We Don't Need To Whisper tomorrow? For those who haven't heard about it yet, Angels and Airwaves is the new project of former (still current?) Blink-182 guy Tom Delonge. Debut single "The Adventure" has been getting heavy rotation on local alt-rock station Q101 and I've really fallen for the nu-emo meets epic post-punk/electronic sound. I've heard it called Tom fronting U2, but I think the single sounds way better than what would be expected from that description. The fact that its some sci-fi concept album worries me a little (how many of those are actually good?), but I'm willing to give it a fair listen. Of course I consider Blink 182 to be one of the most consistent rock-oriented singles bands of the last five years, so make of that what you will (for real, that Greatest Hits just kills).

Also, take a peek at my just up review for the debut album by J Mascis side-project Witch.

No comments: