May 11, 2006

Recent Release Round-Up and Random Notes:
Pearl Jam week isn't officially over just yet, the track-by-track rundown of the new album is on the way very soon. Between switching headquarters over to a new computer and preparing for out of town visitors, things have been a bit crazy this week - but I didn't want to leave my loyal readers hanging for too long. So here's a smallish update to keep you satisfied for the time being. If you yearn for more of my thoughts, head on over to Static and check out my review of No Trigger's new album. They are a surprisingly talented young punk band sure to turn many heads at Warped this summer.

Now, let's catch up on some recent releases.



Tool - 10,000 Days (Volcano/Zomba)
Well, it's been five years so it was about time we got another disc jam-packed with prog-metal deliciousness from Maynard and company, right? Of course it was, the world could always use some more Tool. Which is exactly what we get with this album - more Tool and that's just about it. 10K Days is sure to satisfy the band's legions of rabid fans, but isn't very likely to win them many new ones. Not because this is a bad album, but because it doesn't do anything new with the sound. This is just 70 plus minutes of Tool doing what they do best - churning out dirging epic prog. but I can't shake the feeling that the band is just kinda treading water at this point. The packaging is freaking amazing though. (7.9/10.0)
Recommended Tracks: "Vicarious", "Rosetta Stoned", "Right In Two"



Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (Warner Bros)
Hmmm. This album had two strikes against it before I even heard it, that being the horrible album name and the godawful artwork that looks like a rejected design for NOW! 437. And let's be honest, the world needs a RHCP double-album like they need another Eagles goodbye tour. But lead single "Dani California" wormed its way into my head (as did Frusciante's excellent solo), and my hopes were raised a little bit. The verdict? Well, I gotta say that I am perfectly whelmed with this album. Not over, not under - just "whelmed". There are some definite standouts and flashes of the old-school funk that I thought RHCP had compeltely abandoned in favor of MOR waters, but to be perfectly honest there was no reason for this to be a 28 track double album. Take the best fifteen or sixteen and it would have been another very respectable addition to the band's catalog, but as it is this verges on being a bloated mess. Just exercise some self-editing and you can probably come up with your own very pleasing single-disc version. (6.9/10.0)
Recommended Tracks: "Storm In A Teacup", "Tell Me Baby", "Dani California"



Snow Patrol - Eyes Open (A&M)
I can't claim to be a longtime fan of Snow Patrol, I only caught on to them with 2004's really enjoyable Final Straw, mostly thanks to killer opening cut "How To Be Dead". I've heard a lot of hardcore fans complaining about the new album, saying that it is a blatant "sell-out" album and a big disappointment. I don't know about all of that, I think Eyes Open is just more of a pop streamlining of the sound they explored last time around. This is epic, guitar-driven pop that never really tries to extend itself too far and thus ends up usually hitting the mark without lapsing into Coldplay-lite wimp rock. "Hands Open" is a great single though, with or without the Sufjan namecheck. (7.6/10.0)
Recommended Tracks: "Hands Open", "Chasing Cars", "You're All I Have"



The Stills - Without Feathers (Vice)
Wow. Without a doubt, this album is one of the biggest disappointments of the year so far. After slowly falling in love with Logic Will Break Your Heart over the last couple years I was hoping for great things from them the second time around. No dice, however, as this one is nothing but lifeless and limp. I'm not sure what happened, but I couldn't even bring myself to listen to the damn thing more than twice. The only worthwhile track on the whole album is "Baby Blues", thanks to the presence of Metric's Emily Haines. (3.8/10.0)
Recommended Tracks: "Baby Blues"

No comments: