Oct 13, 2005














np: "solid gold animal collection" - guided by voices

Yeah, it's been far too long... things have been a little hectic around here. Been working on a couple of different projects, including a big mix set for a friend's wedding rehearsal dinner, so blogging kind of dropped to a low spot on the priority list. After all the mushy love songs and calm dinner music I've been exposed to for most of the week due to the aforementioned project, I decided that I needed to spend some time with some slack-ass rock and roll. Luckily, Bob Pollard and Guided by Voices just released 100 songs of just that - Suitcase 2. Following the form of the original Suitcase, this collects 100 more rarities, demos, and what have you from the late '70s right up to 2005. Like most of Pollard's output this stuff is very hit or miss - but that's to be expected. And since GBV is no more, I'll take what I can get. You can read more about this over at Pitchfork, along with exciting news about Bob's new solo joint and signing to Merge. I'm glad he's got a new label, but I'm a little disappointed because Matador and GBV were always linked in my mind. They, along with Pavement, were some of the earliest indie bands that I really grew to love and follow - so it just seems natural to see the little Matador flag flying on the majority of Pollard's stuff. I'll get used to it, and best of luck to him in his solo career.

And, for those of you that care to read such things, my review of the recent Cursive collection is up at Static. Read it here.

No comments: