Oct 21, 2005























np: "life during wartime" - talking heads

I've been listening to the new Talking Heads boxset, Brick, the last couple of days and I've been simply astounded by how great this band's first four albums are. The run from 77 to More Songs About Buildings & Food to Fear of Music to Remain in Light is pretty much unstoppable, each full of great songs from start to finish and nary a dud in the bunch. I've been trying to think of bands that have been able to match that same great consistency over their first four albums, but its not as easy as it may sound. As much as I love the Beatles and Stones, they didn't put out solid albums until later in their careers - they were far more singles oriented at the beginning. After much thought, I was only able to come up with two bands that matched that criteria - the Velvet Undergound and Pavement. Sure there have been lots of great four album runs, but not starting with the debut. Anybody you think I might have overlooked? Leave a comment below and educate me.

Also, my reviews of the Dead 60s debut and the latest from Robert Plant are now up at Static.

No comments: