Sep 19, 2005
















np: "size too small" - sufjan stevens

How do I sum up Saturday night's Sufjan Stevens show at the Metro? If I were to sum it up in one simple word - "fun". It's been far too long since I've smiled and laughed that much at an indie rock show, it made me realize that some performers just know how to put on a great show and Sufjan is definitely one of those. I was a little worried that the cheerleading schtick would grow old by the end of the night, but the band was obviously having fun with it and this in turn kept it interesting. Maybe more bands should look into the onstage human pyramid thing. I was slightly disappointed not to hear "John Wayne Gacy Jr.", but the rest of the set was so great that I can't really complain. The set opening "Fifty States Song" was wonderful, that really needs to get an official release soon. The Illinois songs translated very well to a live setting, managing to capture all the various moods quite well. The setlist stuck to the new album for the most part, except for a brief detour to "All The Trees of the Field Will Clap Thier Hands" from Seven Swans. If you haven't had the chance to catch Sufjan live yet I suggest you do so, especially on the current tour - you won't regret it.

No comments: