Sep 20, 2005




















np: "busted in baylor county" - shooter jennings

When I was growing up, my dad used to play a lot of the classic "outlaw" country albums. The booming voice of Johnny Cash frequently blasted out of our old Quasar speakers, or other times Waylon and Willie would be beggin' the mamas not to let their babies grow up to be cowboys. These were the days when I used to walk around in cowboy boots with a huge belt buckle dangling off of my six year old frame. The "cowboy" phase was much the same as any kid goes through, but my Saturday morning fantasies were usually soundtracked by the legends of country music.
By the time I got to high school names like Waylon and Hank and Johnny were replaced by guys with names like Alan and Garth and Randy. It just wasn't the same to me, not even close. So for the longest time I pretty much ignored country music. Every now and then I'd try to give it another chance, but the bland pop-lite ballads quickly reminded me why I never really flipped my dial in that direction.
So now its a rare thing indeed when I purchase a new "country" album, anything that is even embraced by CMT in the slightest is enough to put me off. But after hearing "Fourth of July" by Shooter Jennings, I realized that I may just be wrong about all modern country being unlistenable crap. I went out couple weeks later and picked up Put the 'O' Back in Country, Shooter's debut album. I figured anybody with Waylon for a father had to be somewhat talented, but I didn't realize that I would fall hard and fast for the entire fucking album. In fact, as it turns out, "Fourth of July" is just about my least favorite song on the whole thing - it being the most blatant stab at commercial airplay. From mournful ballads ("Sweet Savannah") to kiss off blasts ("Manifesto No. 1") to rockin' reminders of country's youth ("Southern Comfort"), the album reminded me of the power of country music to hit you straight in the gut. It may be some time before we put ol' Shooter up there in the outlaw hall of fame, but if this record is any indication - he's got a long, ass-kickin' career ahead of him. Click on the link below the picture and take a listen for yourself.

No comments: