Jan 23, 2014

Ranking Pollard's 2013


For any of you that have paid any attention over time, you'll know I'm a big fan of this Bob Pollard guy. Some of you might know him, he's released a couple of albums over the years. Usually has a couple of projects going at a time. Known for drinking a brew or two.

Anyway, with 2013 now firmly in the past, I thought I'd do one of those completely useless and meaningless blog things and rank his 2013 output.

Robert Pollard - Blazing Gentlemen
Robert Pollard - Honey Locust Honky Tonk
Guided by Voices - English Little League
Teenage Guitar - Force Fields At Home
The Sunflower Logic - Clouds On the Polar Landscape EP
Guided by Voices - Down by the Racetrack EP
Circus Devils - When Machines Attack
Circus Devils - My Mind Has Seen the White Trick

Not bad for a year's worth of work. Six full length albums and two EPs, two from brand new side projects. I actually thought the stuff recorded under his own name was the best work of his for the year, especially Blazing Gentlemen, which was filled with the sort of riff-heavy power-pop he hasn't done enough of in recent years. While I normally like the proggier Circus Devils stuff, I wasn't as immediately enamored with this year's pair as I have been in the past (Sgt. Disco and Gringo being among my favorites). The new projects seem interesting, we'll have to see if they continue. Teenage Guitar is an even more lo-fi than usual thing that is mostly Bob messing around on an old 4-track machine with some help from Greg Demos and Joe Patterson, while The Sunflower Logic is mostly the same dudes playing around with some very paisley psych stuff.

And only a few more weeks until his first 2014 project comes down the pike in the form of another Guided by Voice record!

No comments: