Jan 15, 2014

Pazz & Jop 2013

Sometime yesterday the results of the 2013 Pazz & Jop poll, brought to us, as always, by the Village Voice and compiled by my favorite internet statistician, Glenn McDonald (seriously, the guy deserves some sort of award). And, unsurprisingly, Kanye West won top album honors for Yeezus, while Daft Punk won top single for the inescapable (and, admittedly, wonderful - I voted for it), "Get Lucky".

I was happy to be able to participate for my fifth(!) year now. You can view my ballot in full here or here (the latter features my past ballots and some really interesting stats that Mr. McDonald devised), but below is a quick recap. I'm already second-guessing a few omissions and I'm fairly certain that my final 2013 best of the year list won't look just like this, but I still stand by what I voted for back in December. These are ten terrific albums and ten terrific singles. Consider this a sneak peek of my full lists for 2013, yet to come.

Albums

1Anciients, Heart of Oak
Season of Mist
Points: 10
2Steven Wilson, The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Stories)
Kscope
Points: 10
3Oranssi Pazuzu, Valonielu
20 Buck Spin
Points: 10
4Daft Punk, Random Access Memories
Columbia
Points: 10
5Besnard Lakes, Until in Excess, Imperceptible UFO
Jagjaguwar
Points: 10
6Laura Marling, Once I Was an Eagle
Virgin
Points: 10
7Inter Arma, Sky Burial
Relapse
Points: 10
8Deafheaven, Sunbather
Deathwish
Points: 10
9Haim, Days Are Gone
Columbia
Points: 10
10Carcass, Surgical Steel
Nuclear Blast
Points: 10

 

Singles

1Paramore, "Still Into You"
Fueled by Ramen
2Haim, "The Wire"
Columbia
3Daft Punk (ft. Pharrell Williams), "Get Lucky"
Columbia
4Deafheaven, "Dream House"
Deathwish
5David Bowie, "Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy)"
Columbia
6Vampire Weekend, "Step"
XL
7Los Campesinos!, "Avocado, Baby"
Wichita
8Run the Jewels (ft. Big Boi), "Banana Clipper"
Fool's Gold
9Kanye West, "Bound 2"
Def Jam
10Superchunk, "Me & You & Jackie Mittoo"
Merge

No comments: