Apr 15, 2013

Never Run Away



I missed this originally, but this is a pretty cute way to send a promo track out into the world. Anyway, this gives me the opportunity to talk about how amazing Kurt Vile's new record is. I was already really into this guy thanks to the tracks I checked out from Constant Hitmaker and Childish Prodigy (I believe "Freak Train" was the first song to hook me), but the excellent Smoke Ring For My Halo from 2011 elevated me to full-on fan status. And now, well, I think I just might cross the line into obsession soon, if my first couple of plays of Waking On A Pretty Daze are any indication. I think this record pulls together a lot of disparate strings in his discography, creating the sort of classic-rock inspired opus he was always bound to unleash. This sounds bigger and brighter than the early lo-fi stuff, but also a lot more "rocking" than the super laid-back Smoke Ring vibe. Don't get me wrong, Vile is still a super chill guy, as many of the lyrics will attest, but this finds him up off the couch and, however reluctantly, out in the world. One of things I love best is how relatable his lyrics are, even if they are barely the sober side of late-night stoner reflection, there's an existentialist depth that reveals Vile to be a much smarter guy than his detractors might want to acknowledge. But really, it all comes down to those killer, epic guitar jams. If you're already a fan of his work, you've no doubt already had this on repeat. If not, this would be a great place to start.

No comments: