Apr 9, 2013

Ashley Monroe & an ex-Friend of Tom


It's rare that I seek out a new country album, but I couldn't pass up on something new from one-third of Pistol Annies without giving it a shot. And, damn, after hearing this one I'm fairly certain that I've been overrating Miranda Lambert's contributions to the team. Monroe trades in exactly the kind of country I like and, sadly, the kind I rarely hear when I flip the dial over to a modern country station. Hers is all down on your luck ballads and honky-tonk stompers, the kind that would've slotted in on playlists better in 1978 than they do today (particularly that fine duet with Blake Shelton - a guy I've never really given much shrift before). If you remain skeptical, give a listen to "Two Weeks Late", "Weed Instead of Roses", "You Got Me" or "You Ain't Dolly (And You Ain't Porter)" and be convinced.

Also, I'm glad for this weekend's very minor Twit-beef with a certain comedian for not only reminding me to spend more time on this blog, but for giving me more views than I've gotten in a long time. The whole thing was actually quite funny and unexpected. Comedian made a string of mostly unfunny jokes about easy targets that fell pretty far from his normally pretty hilarious wheelhouse and I called him out for them, never thinking in a million years that a comedian of his stature would even read, much less respond, to a lazy tweet from a guy with a whopping 55 followers. But I was wrong and, much like a disappointing number of people that spend a lot of time on social media, he quickly revealed himself to be surprisingly insecure and a bit of a bully. Not that he said anything particularly harsh, nor untrue, just thought it was funny to see a professional comedian taking time out of his life to make fun of a nobody like me. Ah, well. It was mostly disappointing because I've been a big, big fan of his radio show for nearly a decade now and I was excited for him because he seems to be on the verge of breaking through to a whole new level with some new projects he's been involved in. All in all it just serves as a reminder on two fronts; 1) Twitter isn't always just shouting into the void as it can feel for most users without thousands of followers, and 2) celebrities, no matter their stature or fanbase, are only human and, sometimes, disappointingly so.

No comments: