Jan 18, 2010

np: "Sister Jack" - Spoon

I sit here on the eve of the release of Spoon's seventh(!) full-length album, Transference, and I am slowly starting to solidify a thought that has been bouncing around my head over the past several years - Spoon may have quietly become one of my favorite bands of the last decade. I say quietly because it has been a long, slow time getting to this point. I discovered them, as I suspect quite a few people have, through Kill the Moonlight before going back and absorbing the much-lauded Girls Can Tell and A Series of Sneaks. But moving forward, I don't recall ever being especially excited for a new Spoon release, at least nowhere near the levels of anticipation I would reach for, say, a new Radiohead or Pavement record. I did, however, pick up both Gimme Fiction and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga on the first week of release and each wound up being played over and over again on my iPod for weeks. It was almost like I was taking them for granted, "oh another great Spoon album". It took another year or so for me to realize that every single time one of their songs came up on shuffle I took note and ended up playing its parent album. And every damn time I was thrilled that I had done so. In my mind, that says a lot about the quality of a band. So here's to tomorrow and getting to hear "another great Spoon album".

No comments: