Jan 5, 2010

np: "Iron Acton" - Beak>

Happy 2010 to all of the via//chicago loyal, here's hoping this year offers you only the best! If you'll allow me to indulge for a second, can I please make a request for you guys to start posting more in the comments box? I'd love to open up some discussions this year and to hear some feedback on what is being posted. I think the site received all of four comments last year, and only two of those were non-spam. Also, if you'd like, there is a link on the right hand side to become a 'follower'. Why not? Then you can be informed of all the latest updates through Google Reader.

On to the music. It's only the fifth day of the new year, but I've already found one album that I missed out on in 2009 and I really wish I'd have heard it in time for year-end list-making, because, well, it's a great one. I'm speaking of the self-titled debut album by Beak>, the side project by Portishead's Geoff Barrow. In contrast to his main band's meticulously crafted and detail-oriented approach, the music on Beak> was recorded over just twelve days, live, with no overdubs. The result is an instrumental album heavily indebted to krautrock bands like Neu and Can, but surprisingly the vibe isn't completely removed from that of Portishead. There are a couple moments that veer off into territory inspired by metal, jazz, or ambient; but the overall groove reminds me of an album that could have been released 35 years ago in Berlin. Check out the YouTube sample of "Iron Acton" below:



I'd also like to take a second to point you in the direction of two new year projects that I will be following closely in the new year, each by longtime music writers I have really grown to enjoy and respect:

Not Just the Ticket - over at his regular blog, Ned Raggett Ponders It All, Ned it taking a thrillingly detailed stroll down memory lane and writing about all of the concert ticket stubs he has in his possession, a fun read.

It Took Seconds - meanwhile, Tom Ewing (he of Popular fame) has started a rather creative project to last the year, he started January 1st posting a song 365 seconds long and follows each day with a song one second shorter than the previous. Given Tom's breadth of appreciation, this should be a fun trip.

No comments: