Jun 25, 2009




















np: "Rock With You" - Michael Jackson


The rumors, allegations and (let's face it) batshit behavior over the last 20 plus years may have tarnished the image, but let's not sit here and pretend that Michael Jackson wasn't the biggest and brightest thing in the world at one point. Like any red-blooded American male of my age (even if they won't admit it), I spent many an hour practicing the Moonwalk in my bedroom while listening to Thriller, pushing the sleeves up on my red and tan two-tone jacket and pretending that the winter glove on my hand was white and sequined. The world certainly hasn't seen a bona fide international superstar like him since, nor are we likely to in this increasingly fractured world of entertainment. Britney? N*Sync? Please. MJ was frickin' worshipped around the world. They didn't call him the King of Pop for nothing.

He certainly battled his fair share of demons over the years and he was never someone I'd trust to babysit, but I'll choose to remember MJ as the larger than life icon he was. The glove. The zippered jacket. Thriller. The Moonwalk.

Pop music has lost one of its brightest lights today and as long as bar jukeboxes continue to blast "Billie Jean" and wedding receptions spontaneously break out into zombie dance parties his influence will still be felt.

RIP Michael

No comments: