Jun 20, 2009
















np: "Gibbon" - This Town Needs Guns


Decided to really dive into the promo pile sitting here on my desk, they've been looking at me so very longingly for several months now. So I thought maybe I'd jot down a thought or two as I tear through these albums, partially to let you know what might be worth your time but also to remind myself what might deserve more attention further down the road.

This Town Needs Guns - Animals (Sargent House)
I think the cutesy animal artwork put me off this, expecting more of the tuneless indie rock that I've grown ever so tired of lately. And it IS indie rock, but indie rock that is pretty much right up my alley - all chimey and math-y, it isn't surprising to learn they've shared the stage with another via//chicago favorite, Joan of Arc. The twisting, unadorned guitar lines are mesmerizing, making up for the times when the vocals get a little listless. Not a bad start to the day.

Red Fang
- Red Fang (Sargent House)
And we're two for two so far. The influences for this one are all over the heavy music map (and fairly obvious) - Melvins, Sabbath, Motorhead - but things gel enough to make for a pretty cohesive listen. Some chunky riffs and driving tempos, but my favorite is probably "Humans Remain Human Remains", a six and a half minute barnburner complete with organ. Nothing groundbreaking here, but this kind of rock never gets old.

Beat Strings - Fang In Rain (XOXO Records)
Well, we didn't quite make it three for three, although this isn't necessarily a bad album. Its just that this whole Springsteen worship thing is getting a little played out by this point and these kids aren't bringing anything new to the table to make it worth hearing the formula again (unlike, say, The Gaslight Antham, who I think does a much better job of the aching nostalgia thing). Actually they sorta remind me of Marah at times, which, again not a bad thing, just isn't the sort of thing I need in my life at this point. Revisiting this some distant day removed from the indie Springsteen lovefest might allow me to enjoy it with fresh ears. If you can't get enough of this sound though, it is pretty well crafted.

And that's it for today... more to follow soon.

No comments: