Jan 8, 2008




























Finally a reason to get excited about the Pumpkins reunion...


It only took until the first week of 2008, but for the first time since the first live show recordings surfaced on the web - I'm actually kind of excited about the Smashing Pumpkins being back together. As anyone who knows me and/or has followed my thoughts about the Pumpkins on this blog will tell you, I'm a huge, huge fan of the band but I've been more than a little underwhelmed by them getting back together. I had hoped that the new album would kick enough ass to dismiss some of my fears about the reconfigured line-up, but it didn't. The album was, with a few exceptions, a lackluster effort and a pale imitation of what the band has been in the past. So then I started to hear good things about the live shows, so I thought seeing them in person might improve my sour opinion. But, for whatever reason, Billy has not yet decided to grace his eternally supportive hometown with even a single show. So I'd been pretty nonplussed about the whole thing until earlier this week when I got a chance to hear the band's latest digital only (at least here in America) release. Entitled American Gothic, this is a four track EP that showcases the quieter, more acoustic based side of Corgan's songwriting. And boy is it ever promising. I haven't spent enough time with these songs to tell you how they will stand up in the Pumpkins' overall discography, but I can say that each of these tracks shows more promise than half the tired retreads dumped on Zeitgeist. Listen to one of my early favorites and see for yourself. (You can buy all four of the new tracks on iTunes)

Smashing Pumpkins - "Sunkissed" (taken from the American Gothic EP)

No comments: