Jan 22, 2008




















10 Things I Hate About Tuesday...


Not really, but a pun on Heath Ledger's first American movie seemed more appropriate than the string of Brokeback Mountain jokes soon to be upon us. But seriously, I was pretty shocked by Ledger's sudden death today and I feel completely awful for his daughter and the rest of his family. I wasn't always a fan of his work, but his performance as Ennis Del Mar in Brokeback convinced me that he was not an actor to be taken lightly. I was looking forward to seeing him in I'm Not There, not to mention his upcoming role as the Joker in the latest Batman movie. RIP Heath... it's a shame to see such a talented guy gone at such a young age, no matter what personal demons he may or may not have been battling.

Ledger's shocking death kind of overshadowed the other big movie news of the day, the 2008 Oscar nominations. No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood (both of which I'm dying to see in the near future) led the way with 8 nominations each, but I think the biggest surprise to me was the recognizing of Juno. I loved the movie, but I never would have dreamed that it would received nods for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actress for Ellen Page. Page certainly deserves some sort of award for her outstanding portrayal of Juno MacGruff, but it will be difficult competing with the likes of Julie Christie and Cate Blanchett. The nominees made me realize just how much catching up I have to do in the next couple of months. Biggest crime of the day? Eddie Vedder getting shut out of the Original Song category in favor of THREE songs from that Enchanted flick. Come on people.

On the music related front, I completely forgot to mention two good new releases in yesterday's post... the latest from Southern rockers Drive-By Truckers and the debut from MGMT, produced by Dave Fridmann (Flaming Lips, Sparklehorse). Both are well worth checking out.

No comments: