Jan 17, 2007






























"And though these wings have turned to stone / I can fly, fly, fly away..."


I've been on a huge, huge Neil Young kick for the past couple of weeks, but more on that in a minute.

First things first, I know its been awhile since I last posted but things have been slow to get back into the usual swing after the holidays and the new year. With the veritable slowdown in new releases and the general winter doldrums, I haven't had a lot to taslk about - but I swear things will start to pick up again.

In the past couple of weeks a few more reviews I've written for Static have popped up on the site, follow the links and read what I had to say about new albums from The Shys and Thunderbirds Are Now!. I was also fortunate enough to have been invited to take part in the inaugural Jackin' Pop Critics Poll, presented by Idolator and edited by the always worth-reading Michaelangelo Matos. You can view my ballot here.

And, in a bit more of a personal note, I was extremely fortunate to have the most wonderful woman in the world agree to marry me over the weekend. 2007 is shaping up to be a wonderful year.

Back to Neil Young for a second, because really, there can never be enough said about this guy. Chances are you know him from one of his songs that has become a staple on classic rock radio - maybe "Ohio" or "Cinnamon Girl" or even "The Needle and the Damage Done". But Neil has provided us with so much more legendary material over the years whether with Buffalo Springfield, some guys named Crosby, Stills and Nash, the short-lived Mynah Birds, or throughout his ultra-prolific solo career. In order to spread some Neil love and encourage more of you to spend a little time digging deeper into his catalog, here are a few of my all time favorite songs to get you motivated:

Neil Young - "Danger Bird" (taken from Zuma)
Neil Young - "Razor Love" (taken from Silver & Gold)
Neil Young - "Don't Let It Bring You Down" (taken from After the Gold Rush)

No comments: