Aug 25, 2005




















np: "major label debut (live at intonation)" - broken social scene

So awesome - I think I've finally fallen head over heels in love with Broken Social Scene. Yes, You Forget It In People was always awesome, but it's only been the past week where my BSS obsession has gotten kicked up a notch or twelve. I suppose you could say it has more than a little to do with the leak of the forthcoming album or with the Intonation set i found online, but I like to think it goes beyond that. Since watching them at Intonation, I'd been finding myself pulling out YFiiP more and more often - digging into songs that hadn't been among my favorites initially. "Shampoo Suicide" and "Pitter Patter Goes My Heart" were two in particular that have recently grown in my favor after many repeated listenings. The whole album is just such a treat, one of those rare albums worthy of every ounce of hype thrown at it in the years since its release - and one that, rather than losing interest in over time, one that has continually grown on me.
Although I do have to admit that having the chance to listen to both the forthcoming self-titled disc and the Intonation set repeatedly over the past couple days have helped me appreciate the band even more. The new album is awesome, that's about all I can say at this point. I've made it through about five full listens so far and I'm very impressed. It's much too early to make proclamations like "album of the year" or anything of that sort, but let's just say I will be very surprised if it doesn't end up making my top twenty at the end of the year. Early favorite tracks include "Fire Eye'd Boy", "Superconnected", and the lush, whispery "Hotel" - but there's really not a single weak track to be found. I'll still be picking this one up the first day of release, however, because I want to hear the fast version of "Major Label Debut" included on the bonus EP that hopefully matches the awesomeness of the live version they've been playing.
Anyway, if you have yet to be exposed to the joy and excitement that this Canadian collective provides - by all means go pick up You Forget It In People at your favorite record store and enjoy. Or if you are already a charter member of the BSS fan club, get ready for October 4th.

* - For a limited time, you can click on the link at the beginning of this post to download the Intonation version of "Major Label Debut". Enjoy, and leave a comment to tell me what you think about the track or Broken Social Scene in general.

(BSS live photo courtest of Pitchfork)

No comments: