Aug 29, 2005



















np: "bull's eye" - the barry harris sextet

Thanks to my wonderful girlfriend, I was lucky enough to check out Barry Harris and his trio at the Jazz Showcase on Saturday night - it was a wonderful time. I'll admit that I am far from an expert when it comes to jazz, but its something that I've always appreciated and wanted to learn more about. This was a great chance to catch a legend in the flesh and it left me in awe of both his work and the power of live jazz. The passion that flowed through his fingers could be felt throughout the room, it was simply amazing to watch a 75 year old with more energy and excitement than half the rock bands i've seen in my life. One particular highlight for me was the jam he put together by asking for random numbers from the audience, "4-3-7-5" was bouncing around my head for hours after the set.

No comments: