Dec 30, 2003

np: "leave the biker" - fountains of wayne

it's been awhile since i've pulled out the debut by these guys, and it's only gotten stronger in the downtime - if that's even possible. FoW really know thier way around a hook, and i really consider them to be my favorite pop band ever. i discovered them shortly before the debut came out, thanks mostly to my Pumpkins obsession being in high gear in the mid-90s. i had read that James and D'arcy were putting a label together, Scratchie Records, to distribute some of the bands they wanted to get out there. FoW, along with Fulflej and the Chainsaw Kittens, were among the first albums released on the imprint. being the obsessive that i am, and having a hook-up at a local record shop, i was able to pick up all three albums around the time they first came out. Fulflej's Wack Ass Tuba Riff at least got the wack part correct and Chainsaw Kittens really didn't hold my attention all that long. but i loved Fountains of Wayne from the first moment "Radiation Vibe" came flowing out of my headphones. fucking pop bliss. which was odd for me at the time to enjoy because in addition to the Pumpkins, i had recently discovered June of 44, Rachel's, Rodan, and the glories of the Touch and Go/Quarterstick post-rock thing going on. pop was the last thing i was looking for at the time. but when something is that damn good, you don't fight it. you just enjoy. i'll never forget the mornings walking to class with "Survival Car" and "Joe Ray" blaring through my headphones.

on another FoW tip, i had the weirdest thing happen to me when i left work. i had a certain line from "Hey Julie" bouncing around in my head all day and it would not go away no matter how hard i tried. sure enough i leave work, get in my car, turn on the radio, and that exact same line came back at me immediately. "no i'll never make it through without you around". that's great pop music right there folks.

No comments: