Oct 30, 2018

Gettin' the Led out

Unimaginative title aside, it's true, I've been falling into another one of those periodic deep dives into the world of those world-conquering titans of hard rock. Sure, say what you will (quite rightfully) about the negatives - the cliches, the ridiculous theatrics, the rampant misogyny, over-familiarity, the near constant ripping off of American blues musicians, all fair play - but, damn it, this band was absolutely bonkers at times.

At the time of this writing, I'm obsessed with that Moog synthesizer drone that links "Friends" to "Celebration Day", something I've heard a thousand times before without really appreciating.

And, really, that's the thing about these classic bands that I first encountered in my early teens yet continue to spark my interest again and again and again, something always new to appreciate. Your Zep, Floyd, the Stones, Deep Purple, etc. It's what elevates them above the bands that fascinated briefly at the same time, which I never return to - Doors, Eagles - I'm looking mainly at you two.

Anyway, the world sucks right now, but this is a reminder that it's okay to turn off the Twitter feed now and then and take solace in the classics.

No comments: