Nov 27, 2015

2014 Year In Review Part I: The Introduction

Well, the 2014 recap didn't happen on any kind of tight schedule either. It looks like I've hit a rut of not getting the previous year's summary pulled together until it's pretty much time for the latest round of year-end lists popping up. I'd like to make promises about getting the 2015 version done during a more appropriate timeframe but, well, history doesn't really point to that happening.

2014 didn't throw me a lot of huge surprises on any front, I spent the entire year just pushing the same project forward at work, from design and into construction (where, we still sit as of writing this post, I've been working on this same project more than full-time since March of 2013). Otherwise I spent much of the year enjoying my family and getting to know Evanston even more as I got to spend more time exploring. Musically nothing much changed either, I continued to burrow into the myriad of subgenres that fill in the cracks between metal, progressive rock, stoner rock and all things in between.  Looking back, it looks like a bit of an underwhelming year on paper - no huge and obvious future classics, but still plenty of great stuff that I'll be listening over the next few posts.

But, here's a brief look back at past winners...

Albums of the Year
2003: Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below
2004: Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
2005: Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
2006: Mastodon - Blood Mountain
2007: Battles - Mirrored
2008: Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)
2009: The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
2010: Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
2011: Fucked Up - David Comes To Life
2012: Goat - World Music
2013: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and Other Stories)

Singles of the Year
2003: "Hey Ya" - Outkast
2004: "Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand
2005: "Since U Been Gone" - Kelly Clarkson
2006: "When You Were Young" - The Killers
2007: "Stronger" - Kanye West
2008: "Time To Pretend" - MGMT
2009: "My Girls" - Animal Collective
2010: "Fuck You" - Cee-Lo Green
2011: "Super Bass" - Nicki Minaj
2012: "Bad Religion" - Frank Ocean
2013: "The Wire" - Haim

No comments: