Nov 27, 2014

2013 Year In Review Part I: The Introduction

Well, it's been only eight months since I've contributed anything at all to this blog. What better way to break my silence than by posting the eleven-month overdue recap for 2013? But, hey, points for me at least calling this one.

It's a little difficult to reflect on 2013 as a whole, sitting as I am on Thanksgiving Day of 2014, but I'll give it my best shot. 2013 was mostly about settling into the new house and watching my son continue growing and developing every day. Career wise, 2013 was pretty busy, with the renovation project at my alma mater causing more stress and gray hairs than I could've ever predicted (a project which is still going now, but finally at least moved into construction).

Musically, 2013 found me digging ever more deeply into metal, prog and stoner rock - especially sub genres that blurred the lines between all of the above. I fell further away from hip-hop and mainstream pop, but having a toddler that loves to listen to the radio in the car meant I heard more of the latter than I would in an average year. New discoveries felt a little fewer and farther between, more because of a lack of free time than anything else.

Over the next few posts, I'll be posting lists of my favorite music of 2013, so feel free to take a look.

Before we start, a look back...

Albums of the Year
2003: Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
2004: Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
2005: Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
2006: Mastodon - Blood Mountain
2007: Battles - Mirrored
2008: Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)
2009: The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
2010: Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
2011: Fucked Up - David Comes to Life
2012: Goat - World Music

Singles of the Year
2003: "Hey Ya" - Outkast
2004: "Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand
2005: "Since U Been Gone" - Kelly Clarkson
2006: "When You Were Young" - The Killers
2007: "Stronger" - Kanye West
2008: "Time to Pretend" - MGMT
2009: "My Girls" - Animal Collective
2010: "Fuck You" - Cee-Lo Green
2011: "Super Bass" - Nikki Minaj
2012: "Bad Religion" - Frank Ocean

No comments: