Jul 8, 2012

Some recent purchases...





















I can't believe that it has been six whole months that I've left this blog sitting untouched but, here we are. A large part of the reason has been my energies have been focused on a new project at a new location: the alternative to what. Over there I'm working my way through every song to appear on the Billboard Modern Rock Top Ten between January of 1990 and December of 1999. It will be a long journey, to be sure, but it has already been loads of fun. Swing by and check it out.

For the first time in what seems like forever, I had an opportunity to do a little thrift store record shopping while in Bay City, Michigan last week, and ended up with one of the best used vinyl hauls I've had in a long, long time. A quick look at what I have to look forward to hearing...

The Band - Cahoots
The Band - Northern Lights, Southern Cross
Yes - Yessongs
Jessi Colter - I'm Jessi Colter
Tim Buckley - Happy Sad
Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
The Beach Boys - Friends/Smiley Smile
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene

A haul of which I was particularly proud, particularly the Tim Buckley and Judas Priest records. But my most exciting score, as pictured up top, was what I came across just as I was leaving an antiques market in Bay City. That's right, a box containing volumes III through VI of the historic Metal Massacre series, on colored vinyl no less. And very very reasonably priced. I can't wait to dig in.

No comments: