Apr 9, 2011

Music Diary Project Day 5
This update for yesterday's listening is a little late, but here it is.

Pretty much a similar deal as it was all week, we had the local classic rock on in the car on the way to the train station and heard:
The Who - "My Generation"
Thin Lizzy - "The Boys Are Back in Town"

On the train, the walk to work, and for the first few minutes of checking email and planning out the day I listened to:
The Velvet Underground - Peel Slowly and See (Disc 4)

Not a whole lot of music for the rest of the morning, as I spent time catching up on some of my podcasts, particularly the Judge John Hodgman and Football Weekly ones. I did have a little time to switch over to shuffle though:
Women - "Heat Distraction"
Dinosaur Jr - "Raisins (BBC Session)"
Oneohtrix Point Never - "Emil Cioran"
The Horrors - "Draw Japan"

Oddly, there was no music playing at the deli where I went to lunch. I'm not sure if it would have felt as odd if I wasn't focused on looking for it, but it did make the place sound eerily silent.

Back at the office, after spending an uncomfortable amount of time wrestling with 40 pound drawing sets for a project going out to bid, I had the iPod on shuffle again:
Return To Forever - "Celebration Suite Part I & II"
Oneohtrix Point Never - "Months" (shuffle must have been feeling this today)
Rocket from the Crypt - "Can You Hear It"
Diddy-Dirty Money f. Grace Jones - "Yeah Yeah You Would"
The Sounds - "Yeah Yeah Yeah" (sadly no Yeah Yeah Yeahs to follow up this stretch)
The Fall - "Slang King (edits version 1)"
E-40 f. Bun B & Slim Thug - "That Candy Paint"
Blue Oyster Cult - "Fire of Unknown Origin"
Amon Amarth - "The Last Stand of Frej"
MellowHype - "GRAM"
Mastodon - "Divinations"

Switched off shuffle for a couple albums:
The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar
More on this soon, but this is rapidly turning into one of my favorite albums of the young year so far.

The Kills - Blood Pressures
Still loving this, although I'm starting to notice that the quality dips for a stretch near the middle.

And back to shuffle while I killed off the last bit of a slow Friday afternoon at the office:
Blood Ceremony - "The Hermit"
Diddy-Dirty Money - "I Hate That You Love Me"
Iron & Wine - "Love Vigilantes"
Girl Unit - "Wut"

On the train for the ride home I spent time with another album from 2011 that I absolutely adore:
Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
I've loved her since I came across "Little Bit" a few years ago, but I really feel like her second album is great through and through, while the debut had a few outstanding singles it had a few toss-offs sprinkled in. This one though, wow, not a single wasted track or moment.

Friday night was a quiet night in with the wife while we spent some time with Netflix streaming, where we watched Do The Right Thing (I was shocked that my wife had never seen this!) and the pilot episode of My So-Called Life. Each of which featured heavy use of a song from its time period:
Public Enemy - "Fight the Power"
R.E.M. - "Everybody Hurts"

Before crashing for the night, we watched about half an hour of Courtney Love's Behind the Music, so we got to hear lots of Nirvana and Hole stuff.

Favorite Track Heard Today: E-40 f. Bun B & Slim Thug - "That Candy Paint"
Favorite New Track Heard Today: nothing new at all today
Least Favorite Track Heard Today: The Sounds - "Yeah Yeah Yeah"

No comments: