Dec 2, 2010

np: "The Haunted Rider" - The Jameses

I've been spending a lot of time this year listening to Blank Dogs, particularly the band's two most recent full-lengths - Under and Under and Land and Fixed. As I learned more about Mike Sniper, the genius mind behind Blank Dogs, I discovered that he also runs the sweet record label out of Brooklyn by the name of Captured Tracks (who released Wild Nothing's Gemini - an album sure to rank highly on my end of year list). Now I'm starting to dig a little deeper into the label's roster and tonight has found me really getting into Florida's The Jameses. So far they've only released two seven-inch singles, but all four tunes are winners. The early favorite for me is "The Haunted Rider", which head fakes with a twisted organ intro before surging into a great little tune that sounds pretty timeless to these ears and definitely shares a spiritual kinship with Nuggets garage rock. Check it out.

No comments: