Apr 12, 2010

via//chicago's 200 of the 2000s:
#183

Chromatics - Night Drive (Italians Do It Better, 2007)
















I certainly have no trouble admitting to be one of those people who only "dabbles" in electronic music, mostly when the mood strikes me. I'm sure I'm one of those people that absolutely drives the purists bonkers, but I'm not about to start apologizing for my tastes now. Being such an infrequent visitor to these waters makes it all the more surprising when something like Chromatics swims by and completely captures my imagination for a good, long while. I first came across this record via a YouTube link of the Kate Bush cover, "Running Up That Hill", an icy cool yet reverent treatment that struck out its own aesthetic ground. On the basis of that track alone, I ordered the album and couldn't believe how fortunate I was. That bleary-eyed, early morning vibe was carried into tracks such as the carefree title track and ethereal yet insistent "I Want Your Love". The first three tracks were complete bliss, but none prepared me for the turns the album would take, be it the horror movie dread of "The Killing Spree" or the sightly more organic vocal performance on "Mask". From the Balearic guitar melodies wrapped around "Night Drive" to the 15-minute closing epic that borders on droning krautrock at times, "Tick of the Clock", I couldn't help but feel like this album was tailor made for my tastes. A thrilling reminder of why it is sometimes a great idea to dip your toes in unfamiliar waters.

No comments: