Feb 24, 2010

via//chicago's 200 of the 2000s:
#198
Shout Out Louds - Our Ill Wills (Merge, 2007)
















I know it has been questioned several times in the past decade, but what exactly do they put in the water in Sweden to produce so many consistently great pop artists? Shout Out Louds debut album, Howl Howl Gaff Gaff, was an exciting enough debut, but they managed to surpass themselves on this second release. Obvious and heavy debt is paid throughout to The Head on the Door-era Cure while completely avoiding lazy pastiche. Opener "Tonight I Have to Leave It" got much of the attention, deservedly so for its bubbly melody and plinking percussion, though I think the track only serves as the tip of the iceberg. Pop perfection abounds, from the muted and tender "Blue Headlights" to the handclap sugary sweet "Normandie". Shockingly enough the band truly excels at the epic, with both "Impossible" and closer "Hard Rain" reaching seven minutes plus but neither overstaying their welcome. A gorgeous pop album from start to finish.

1 comment:

Reed said...

Wow, Jon, this is quite an undertaking. I started my Top 50 of the 00s way back in August and am still only about halfway through.

Anyway, just my two cents here, but felt that this one didn't compare to the debut, which sneaked into my countdown at #48. I can't wait to see what lies ahead on your list!