Nov 15, 2009

np: "His Spacetruck is Strange" - Guided by Voices (as Wig Stomper)

And there we have it, off on another GbV bender. Stopped by a local shop on Friday (Secondhand Tunes... highly recommend them if you are in the area) and found, much to my surprise, the third volume in the Guided by Voices Suitcase series - for a surprisingly cheap price. I couldn't pass it up, 100 more songs by one of my all-time favorite bands? Sold. The previous two Suitcase collections (the second of which contains the track above) were obviously hit or miss affairs but, as with much of Bobby Pollard's material, the hits are so very much worth wading through the filler. It becomes really easy for me to fly off on a Pollard spree, because there is seemingly always something new to discover. With the possible exception of the albums I've ingested quite completely (Alien Lanes, Bee Thousand, Do the Collapse) - I'm always discovering a new bit to love. So here's to another 100 chances of finding another gem! I'm particularly excited by disc number four, billed as GbV acoustic songs recorded between Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes. In celebration, here is the video for the first ever GbV track that I obsessed over:

No comments: