Aug 24, 2008






























sunday night shuffle


Bob Dylan - "She Belongs To Me" (taken from Bringing It All Back Home)
Not one of the most famous songs on Bob's fifth album, but this has always been among my favorites. I think its a sweet little love song, nothing much more that needs to be said. Unlike some of his other songs, I don't think there is a whole lot to parse in his lyrics.

Chin Up Chin Up - "Stolen Mountains" (taken from This Harness Can't Ride Anything)
A delicate number from this Chicago band's 2006 alb um that references a late night wintry drive through Indiana, heading back to Chicago from Benton Harbor, Michigan. There's a bit of a post-rock vibe here that links the band to other local luminaries such as Tortoise, but these guys have their own literate take on orchestral indie pop. I love the way the layered vibes overpower the swelling strings as the track ends.

Daft Punk - "One More Time" (taken from Discovery)
Such a great track, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that. This is the opening track to the French duo's second album, bridging the gap from the Chicago house vibe of their first album to the disco-tinged synthpop of this release. I remember being at a club late one winter night shortly after this album came out, leaning against the bar and wishing my friends would be ready to head anywhere other than the over-priced meat market we were standing in. Suddenly this song came on, a random girl pulled me onto the dancefloor and I couldn't think of a more perfect place to be. I've absolutely adored this song since.

Razorlight - "Kirby's House" (taken from Razorlight)
I actually kinda liked this band's first album, Up All Night, but I couldn't stand this self-titled follow up. They were never the most original of bands, but any trace of character or energy found in tracks like "Rip It Up" and "Golden Touch" was completely whitewashed by this album's blandness. A bad song from a bad album by a mediocre band. Way to follow up on Daft Punk, iTunes.

Oneida - "All Arounder" (taken from Anthem of the Moon)
But you've made up for it with this choice. I've been on a mini Oneida tear this week, after finally getting to hear the excellent Preteen Weaponry. This track is a stomper - full of crashing drums, heavy riffs, and a pretty cool, jerky melody that I can't tell if it comes from a modified guitar or a synth. Either way, pretty cool. Fantastic track by this Brooklyn band.

Rocket from the Crypt - "Normal Carpet Ride" (taken from All Systems Go 1)
Another criminally underrated, sadly defunct band. The title of this track shows off the band's off-kilter sense of humor and this swings and grooves with the best of their tracks. I'm normally not the biggest fan of the saxophone in rock music, it can be used so badly sometimes, but these guys incorporate it in perfect ways. If you are unfamiliar with these guys, I suggest you dive right in.

Steely Dan - "Midnight Cruiser" (taken from Can't Buy A Thrill)
A really solid number from the debut album, this song for me is all about the guitar work and that undeniable chorus. I know they've become a bit of a joke in some circles (Judd Apatow, I'm looking at you) but, for my money, there weren't many better songwriters to emerge from the AM radio scene of the 1970s. Give 'em another listen, there is a whole lot more going on than the AOR lite rock you think.

Screeching Weasel - "Gotta Girlfriend" (taken from Weasel Mania)
A blistering blast of punk energy from another Chicago band, the legendary Screeching Weasel. Only 93 seconds long, but that is plenty of time for the infectious chorus to weasel, heh, its way into your head.

R.E.M. - "Man-Sized Wreath" (taken from Accelerate)
The first thing I noticed about this song from their recent "return to form" album is that killer bass line. When you anchor your song with something that strong, everything else is just gravy. The background harmonies recall classic 80s R.E.M. and this ends up as one of the strongest tunes on Accelerate, serving as a pretty decent summation of their best pop moments.

Pelican - "Aurora Borealis" (taken from The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw)
iTunes seems to be all about the local bands tonight, plucking this Chicago post-metal band out of the depths of its' library. This album was my introduction to the band, checking it out in advance of their appearance at the 2005 Intonation Music Festival. "Borealis" is one of the shorter songs on the album, but in my mind it is also one of the most melodic and powerful ones as well. The chiming guitars are absolutely stunning.

No comments: