Mar 31, 2008

















thoughts of a gray monday...


As befits tradition, it was a rainy and gloomy day in Chicago for my beloved Cubs' home opener. Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't snowing, but the rain managed to hold off long enough for them to get a 10 inning game in the books. And... score it the first loss of the season, dammit. Fresh blood and instant fan favorite Kosuke Fukudome lit up the scoreboard and the bleachers with his bottom of the ninth three-run blast to tie things up, but the Brewers pulled away with a run in the 10th. It wasn't the best way to start the fresh season, but there were a couple bright spots that give me hope for the season. In addition to his three-run dinger, Fukudome went 3 for 3 with a double and a base on balls. Not bad at all for his major league debut. And starting pitcher Carlos Zambrano made a valiant effort, pitching 6.2 scoreless innings with five strikeouts before reliever Kerry Wood blew it all.

In slightly more happy baseball news, my fantasy team, the Yellow Ledbetters, got off to an encouraging start with three longballs (Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, and Eric Byrnes) and eight RBIs. Let's hope this season ends up better than my mediocre football and basketball seasons (I finished in the middle of the pack in both leagues). And the less said about my NCAA brackets, the better. In my own defense, I pretty much gave up on college basketball once it looked my Illini were flushing the season down the drain - which was, what, December?

I know what you're thinking, enough with the sports! Isn't this supposed to be a music blog? Sure, but between keeping tabs on the Cubbies and my dead iPod battery, music wasn't foremost on my mind today. But another review of mine did pop up over at Static today, check and see what I thought of the Kentucky post-rock band Foxhole.

No comments: