Jan 20, 2006















np: "According To Plan" - I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness

A couple years ago a friend of mine hooked me up with a little EP that had been produced by Britt Daniel of Spoon fame and released on the Emperor Jones label. The name of the band, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, was awesome enough for the disc to warrant my full attention. The EP itself turned out to be a great discovery, five tracks of post-punk inspired pop that was never short on hooks. After spinning it countless times over the following months, the band kind of fell off my radar and I failed to really give them much attention at all. But as soon as I heard that they were about to (finally) drop the full-length debut on Secretly Canadian, I pulled the disc out and fell for it all over again. From what I've heard so far the new album isn't as hook-driven and immediately catchy as the EP was, but strikes a more consistent and atmospheric tone. It doesn't hit stores until March, in the midst of a quick national tour, but in the meantime click on the link below the awesome cover art above to download a preview track from the label. I'll definitely be posting more about this one when I've had time to properly digest it.

The reviews are slow to come at the start of this year, but my recent review of the pretty bland and unexciting Gabin disc is up at Static.

No comments: