Feb 14, 2011

Now Playing:
Deerhoof - Deerhoof vs. Evil













I've been struggling with this album for the past several weeks, hoping to find that little nook or cranny that will completely draw me in and make me fall for it, the way I have with each of Deerhoof's previous three discs. Normally I wouldn't work this hard on something that just isn't clicking, but each listen makes me feel like I am just on the cusp of really falling into their world... even if it never happens. Perhaps it never will, some albums just don't rub me the right way, but that would make this album one of 2011's first disappointments. Of course, Deerhoof is a hard band to love for many, between Satomi's yelping delivery and the band's tendency to throw as many curveballs at the listener as possible. But what usually makes them such a great listen, are the times when all the "weirdness" (for lack of a better term at this late hour) gels into something you just can't get out of your head. For a group coming from such a different angle of attack, they manage to pack in some great hooks and truly memorable moments. Unfortunately I'm just not hearing many of them this time around. There are a few spots that stand out, "Super Duper Rescue Heads!" comes immediately to mind, but not enough to rank it among the group's best work. Maybe the problem is more with me than Deerhoof, maybe I'm not just in the right head space, but I was hoping for something that would win me over a whole lot easier. It might end up a grower but, as it stands now, I can't see myself reaching for this over any of their last three discs.

No comments: