Jun 15, 2009





















np: "Ballroom" - Gui Boratto


With just over a week until my first in the series of seven ARE sections, my priorities have been realigned slightly and blogging has taken a necessary backseat. But since I've wrapped up all I wanted to accomplish study-wide this evening (read three chapters in the review book and practiced the building section vignette), I thought I might try to toss up a bit of a post. And, being distracted as I am, this one will take the form of the post from over two weeks ago - namely a round-up of some thoughts on recent album releases.

Sonic Youth - The Eternal (Matador)
I wasn't sure what to expect with the latest release from, undoubtedly, one of my all time top ten favorite bands. Early signs indicated that perhaps the band would be looking to reinvigorate their sounds with a fresh label (Matador!) and a fresh bassist (Mark Ibold!), always good signs for a creative rejuvenation in my eyes. That certainly wasn't the case here, however, as The Eternal is front-to-back a signature Sonic Youth album that could be mistaken for none other. And, you know, I think that's what makes this such a frickin' great album. Rather than stretching out for the unknown (and I know this is what bugs a lot of the album's detractors), the band reached back and incorporated the elements from previous eras that define them today. Its sorta like a greatest hits with all new material. Some fantastic guitar work, surprising pop melodies, jams that don't wear out their welcome, Gordon's throaty snarl, and two of the best Lee Ranaldo songs I've heard in a long time. Haters may whine that they aren't "growing", but damned if that matters when you let these songs wash over you.

The Answer - Everyday Demons (The End)
These Irish kids have managed to cause quite stir with those who dig their rock classic and their ballads soulful. In just three years they've become worldwide sensations, landing a much coveted spot opening for AC/DC and garnering comparisons to everyone from Led Zeppelin to Thin Lizzy (among may others). They've been making an impact in Europe, but it wasn't until this year that America finally got the chance to absorb The Answer in full-length form. So how well do they stack up against their forefathers? Tough question to answer. No doubt they've got chops in spades and a certain swagger that ticks off the Page and Plant checklist, but there just aren't enough times where they open up and just RIP like you wish they would. Everyday Demons is immaculately produced and expertly played, but perhaps that's part of the problem, there just aren't any rough edges to give them the character that defined their obvious inspiration. Still, tracks like "Demon Eyes" and "Evil Man" are undeniable arena-ready stompers that should please the fist-pumping, lighter-waving set. There is bucketloads of potential here, maybe next time they'll have the confidence to cut loose and let the rough edges through. A few less ballads might help as well.

Kasabian - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum (RCA)
Granted, I've only listened to this once so far and haven't really invested a whole lot of time parsing the lyrics or delving into its subtleties, but this has got to be one of the thinnest, most meaningless records I've heard all year. Nothing, and I mean nothing, grabbed me. No hooks, no big beats, absolutely nothing that made me want to listen to it ever again. "Vlad the Impaler" makes a valiant effort at salvaging the album late in the game, but it ultimately reveals itself to be a third-generation clone of the better singles from album number one. Maybe my fault for expecting something out of the cool album cover that makes it look like a lost psych-rock masterpiece from the late sixties, or the supposed concept that found the band staying in and gathering inspiration from the titular locale, but I'm honestly kinda surprised that an album this limp was released on a major label in 2009. Then again, it went number one in the UK, so there might be something I'm just not getting. But I don't think so.

No comments: